Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pot Reast in Chianti. I Really Outdid Myself. No Joke.




SO LIFE IS BUSY - and I feel like I haven't eaten a real meal in about 5 days. Between law school applications, papers, exams, and work, I am literally going stir crazy. So Sunday night, I made it my intention to eat well this week. And eat well did I last night. Sweet Lord Jesus Did I. Sunday night was marinating night and for about 20 hours, my cut of beef swam happily in a bath of herbs, garlic, vegetables and CHIANTI.  When Monday afternoon came around to cook the dish, I was more than excited to eat my dinner. AND SO ladies and gentleman, the happiest roast on this side of the globe. WHO SAYS COWS DON'T SWIM? THEY DO WHEN I'M INVOLVED :D Mangia Bene!

Ingredients
1 4 lb Boneless Chuck Roast
3 Large or 5 small Carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
3 Stalks Celery, diced
1 Large Onion, diced
5 Cloves Garlic, minced
about 1/2 pound to a pound of Button Mushrooms
2 Sprigs of Rosemary
4 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
3 cups of Chianti Red Wine
1 15 oz can of Chopped Tomatoes
¼ (or as needed) cup of All Purpose Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
4Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 bag of Frozen Pearl Onions, thawed

Preparation
1) Season the beef well with salt and pepper all over. Sprinkle over the flour and rub it all over.
2) Preheat a large pot over high heat with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, add the beef and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil and add in the carrots, onion and celery, and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and let them cook for about 5 to 6 minutes.
3) Add the beef back in along with the wine, tomatoes, the fresh herbs and mushrooms. 
4) Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover and let cook for 2 and half hours flipping the meat half way through.
5) After 2 and half hours, add the pearl onions and season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat back up to medium high and cook uncovered for 30 more minutes flipping the meat over half way through.
6) Simply slice and serve over some roasted garlic mashed potatoes and spoon over the delicious thick sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment